I love Waffles, partly because Pancakes and I have a love-hate-relationship. Of course, I have Eggos or other frozen waffles in our freezer (only if I find them on sale though), but nothing beats homemade waffles! I got this recipe a few years back and have since tweaked it to my liking. 🙂 It is super easy and I normally have all the ingredients at home. This makes about 8-10 Waffles.
Ingredients for Waffles
2 cups flour
3 Tablespoons white sugar
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups warm milk
1/3 cup melted butter or margarine (I use whatever I happen to have in the fridge)
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon Rum flavor (this one is totally optional, I’ve just found it give it that extra lil’ somethin’) 🙂
Ingredients for Fruit Topping
3 (-ish) cups of [whatever] fruit (I used a bag of frozen triple berry mix I got on sale a while back, of course)
3/4 (-ish) cup of white sugar
1/4 (-ish) cup of brown sugar
[Can you tell I don’t necessarily measure precisely?]
Let’s get started, shall we?
- Combine all the ingredients for the waffle batter. Make sure not to forget to melt the butter/margarine! I did that one time and my waffles didn’t bake well at all. I literally had clumps of butter all in them. In hindsight, it’s actually quite funny.
- Preheat the Waffle maker (mine is a couple of years old, but takes no time to heat up so I just wait until I’m done with my batter to preheat it)
- Spoon the batter into Waffle maker, per its instructions and bake them. I like mine light-brown, so it takes little time for these to bake.
- Combine all ingredients for fruit topping in a large pot or skillet.
- Let it cook until the sugars are dissolved and the fruit is warm.
This sounds simple enough so far, right?
To finish it all, serve the Waffles with Fruit topping and if desired add Syrup and Powdered sugar to garnish.
I absolutely love simple dishes I can make at home from scratch. This is one of these dishes and over the years I have added my own flair to a recipe I found many years ago. It’s become a family favorite!
Disclosure: Everything I share is solely based on my personal experience and is for informational purposes only. Some posts may contain affiliate links. For more details please view my disclosure policy.