The German in me refuses to give up on the deliciousness of our food, regardless of how far away I am!
So, I try to cook as much German food as I can. While we tend to have big Sunday lunches in Germany, we also value frugal practices. And so many dishes are super simple and economical to make.
I remember my Opa (grandfather) making these for us. And we just loved them! My Opa was the sweetest man in my eyes. And many of the recipes I share here are inspired by dishes he and my aunt used to make for us.
Anyway…let’s get back to business, shall we?
Have extra potatoes in your pantry that need to be cooked? But don’t have enough to make a big batch of mashed potatoes?
Check out these German Potato Pancakes. Make them savory or sweet. Either way, they are delicious.
What you’ll need:
For basic recipe:
- 3-4 medium potatoes
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp flour
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- 2 Tbsp oil
- Add different seasonings like garlic salt
- You can omit the onion, if you want to create a sweet version
- Fill one of the large bowls with cold water.
- This will be for the grated potatoes and helps prevent them from browning.
- Peel then grate the potatoes using the large holes on the grater and place the grated potatoes in the bowl with the cold water.
- Yes. This step is tedious, but I promise it will be worth it.
- Once you’re done grating the potatoes, squeeze the water out of the potatoes and lay them on a few sheets of paper towels.
- Make sure to get the potatoes as dry as possible.
- Heat the oil in frying pan to about medium heat.
- In another large bowl, combine the grated potatoes, flour, salt, pepper, chopped onions and whisked egg.
- I use a wooden spoon to get it all mixed up.
- Use the wooden spoon or a Table Spoon to make small patties and carefully place them into the frying pan.
- Cook the patties until they are golden brown, flip them and cook on the other side until they are golden brown.
- When golden brown, place the patties on a paper towel to let any excess oil drip off.
- And you’re DONE!
Add some bacon and garlic salt and top it with green onion to make into something savory. Or create a small fruit buffet station with fresh and canned fruits for a sweet treat!
Personally, I love eating these with apple sauce and all kinds of fresh and canned fruits.
Get the printable version here: German Potato Pancake Recipe
Let me know what y’all think!
Make sure to pin this recipe!
Disclaimer: Everything I share is solely based on my personal experience and is for informational purposes only. This post contains affiliate links. For more information, please view my disclosure policy.