(This is a sponsored post and contains affiliate links.)
Having a little one on the Autism Spectrum with different kinds of sensory processing problems isn’t always the easiest thing to deal with. Especially, when he loves to play games, watch shows or use his Kindle to read books on it. And then zones out so much at times that he doesn’t realize the sound of his Kindle is bothering those around him.
We have bought him about 5 different headphones since last year. These headphones ranged from just a cheap set that cost us about $15 and a more expensive set that cost us about $50. All 5 sets of headphones ended up in the trash- either because he didn’t like them, or they broke after he decided to lay down with them on.
I was so excited, because I hadn’t seen any headband headphones made specifically for kids!
My instant reaction was: “Whoa, we HAVE to try these!”
So, here is my take on this product.
The concept of this product is fairly simple. A set of headphones, thin enough to fit into a washable headband with various design options. The particular product I am reviewing is the Kids Soft Fleece Headphones -Whatif Monster(shown below). It is based on the Whatif Monster from Award winning Author Michelle Nelson-Schmidt’s book Jonathon James and the Whatif Monster.
Price: The retail price for these is right around $29.99. But at the time of this post, they were on sale for $19.99. Plus, the company also fulfills these orders through Amazon. So I’m sure, you’ll be able to find a good deal on them.
Material: The headbands are made out of fleece and are stretchable.
Speakers and cable: The speakers are thin and fit through a hole on the back of the headband. Compared to other headphones we’ve bought before, the cable is really long at 52″. The plug is a standard 3.5 mm stereo plug. This allows you to use the headphones with a lot of different devices. I’ve even plugged them into my Samsung and they worked perfectly fine!
Questions I’ve asked myself about this product as a mother (plus answers):
Can these be washed?
They can be washed. YAY! Taking the headphones out of the band is super easy. I held the band with one hand, reached through the hole in the back with the other hand to loosen them from the sides of the band and they came right out. Wash them on gentle, cold and let them air dry. That’s it! Seriously, how simple is that?
How easy are these to use?
Amazingly easy! I mean, pull them out of the package, stretch out the cable, plug it into the device, place band on head and adjust speakers to perfect fit-kind of easy!
Will these fit my son’s head?
We have this family joke about Elijah having a big head, because he decided to set up shop in my womb and stay past his eviction date. 🙂 So, one of my worries was how big the band is and whether it would fit. The fabric is stretchable and according to the company, fits a head circumference between 18 and 21 in.
Is the packaging environmentally friendly?
The speakers came in one of those yellow envelopes and were only wrapped in a thin plastic covering. There was no extra plastic, paper, or other useless material that only ends up in the trash anyway. Plus it’s super easy to open. I hate when I have to fight packaging just to get to the product. Don’t you?
Are there other designs available?
YES! And they are just too cute!
This is the CozyPhones Froggy design.
This is the CozyPhones Panda design.
This is the CozyPhones Yellow Smiley design.
Seriously, aren’t these just too cute?!
Is there a volume limit on the headphones?
According to the Amazon Customer Question and Answer section, the children headphones are limited to 85 db.
Do the headphones come with a warranty?
Yes, they do. The warranty is basically the standard limited warranty you would find on many other products these days. One thing that sets them apart though, is that Halo Acoustic Wear, LLC offers a 180 day warranty. Many of the headphones I have bought over the last few years, have only offered a 90 day warranty. The warranty covers “defects in material or workmanship under normal use during the Warranty Period,” per the company’s FAQ page. A copy of the terms for the warranty is included in the package. It is printed on a neat little card that also shows the instructions on how to care for the band and get the perfect fit.
What have other people said about this product?
One of the first things I do when thinking about buying a new product is to look at what other people think about the product. This is super important for us, especially when we can easily go through 5 different products before finding THE ONE. I’ve made it a habit to research a product in depth before spending money on it. The Amazon Customer Question and Answer section is literally filled with good reviews!
I mean, people were thanking the company for coming up with this idea. The Amazon Product Rating is 4 1/2 stars out of 5! And that’s with 406 reviews!
Here is my take on the Pros and Cons of CozyPhones
- The packaging is simple, easy to open, environmentally (more) friendly than many of the other headphones we have bought.
- They are super easy to use.
- They are super easy to adjust for the right fit. Just don’t try to read the instructions without enough coffee in your system and while you have a little one jumping around you wanting to try the headphones out. It didn’t work out for me too well. But if you can do it, more power to you!
- Elijah said they are extremely comfortable.
- The designs are too cute! Seriously, I would’ve died from excessive squealing as a little girl if they would have had these back then!
- We have already knotted the cable (aren’t we a clumsy bunch?), but the knot was VERY easy to undo. And the sound is still like it was when we first got the headphones early this week.
- The 3.5 mm stereo plug fits virtually all of the electronics we have in our house; including our iPod. (Granted, our iPod is a few years old. So, I’m not sure if anything has changed with the new iPods.)
- The price is very reasonable, in my opinion. If these hold up longer than the last pair (about 1 1/2 weeks) then these would be an awesome investment. Plus, you should be able to find these for a good price on sale.
- The fact that Elijah actually seems to genuinely love these, makes me quite excited.
- Halo Acoustic Wear, LLC is a Veteran-owned company. I’m glad to be able to genuinely support a veteran-owned company.
- Customer service seems fairly easy to access on the website. From my experience in contacting the company, I have not had any major issues and have received feedback to all my questions and correspondence within 24-48 hours.
- The limited warranty is 180 days and is quite clear. However, if there are still questions, customer service contact info is easy to find on the site.
- The company is easy to find on major Search engines. I googled and binged the term CozyPhones and their page popped right up.
- I think this product has been a great option for Elijah due to his sensory sensitivities; however, I also believe the fleece could potentially get a little hot for him after a while. If they were to offer a simple design for kids made out of Lycra, I would be highly interested in such a product.
- If you are looking for Bose or Beats style sound clarity; these probably won’t satisfy your very high expectations.
- It seems that if the speakers break, it would be difficult to find replacement speakers from a simple Amazon search. I tried finding replacement speakers via this route, plus Google and Bing and could not find anything. You could potentially inquire with the company, but I haven’t seen any on their page either. I could just be blind, but this was my experience as an “average” shopper.
- The headphones don’t double as a “noise-canceling” device. (More on this in my Final Thoughts below.)
- While the band can stretch, there is no way to make it smaller than the original size. So, if you were thinking about getting a set for your small Toddler, they may not fit them. The same goes for older individuals. However, if you have an older special needs child and are interested, you can still opt for one of their Sleep or Active Designs.
- If you are looking for the newest and most tech-savvy product with all the bells and whistles, including Bluetooth or Wireless capabilities; then this is probably not a perfect fit for you!
My Final Thoughts:
Like I mentioned above, Elijah has gone through many headphones over the last year alone. These headphones are not the fanciest or technologically well-equipped. They are also not the cheapest (financially). But they serve a great purpose, are easy to use, look really cute, are easy to care for and I don’t have to worry about the band breaking. All because my little one decided to go to sleep with his headphones on. Or because his clumsy self accidentally sat on them. I don’t have to worry about Elijah feeling uncomfortable, because the band is too hard, too tight, slips off, hurts his ears or triggers some other sensitivity for him.
We have used previous headphones, most often the more expensive ones, to help him drown out loud noises when we went to restaurants or other places with loud noises. These headphones will not double as “noise-cancelling” earmuffs. But they may very well help drown some of the noise out, as long as the speakers are left in the band. We went out for lunch the other day to try a new restaurant and their music was really loud.
Why many of these new places have to blast music while I’m trying to eat and have a nice conversation is still beyond me; but whatever, I guess.
Anyways, I didn’t have his Kindle, my phone battery was just about dead and the music was really starting to get to him. So, I decided to get him the CozyPhones, colors and a coloring book out of the car. Let me tell ya, it worked wonders! Now, I’m not saying that they cancelled the noise out or that they instantly calmed him. But I think the combination of the band with the speakers in them and further distraction worked well for him at that time!
So, my opinion of this product:
As a mother of a special needs child, I think this is a great product. It may not work for everyone, but it certainly seems to be a great alternative for us. Plus, Elijah said he absolutely loves them!
Enter for a chance to win a set of CozyPhones!
Halo Acoustic Wear, LLC has teamed up with me to offer one of my lovely readers the chance to win a set of CozyPhones. So, go ahead and enter below! Good luck, y’all! (Starts: 9/12/2016 at 12:00 AM).
And don’t forget to sign up for my Newsletter, if you haven’t done so yet! I would love for y’all to join me on this crazy ride called Life!
Congratulations Kristin P!
I will be sending you an e-mail with all the little details on how to get your Cozy Phones! (Make sure to check your spam/junk folder if you don’t see anything from me in your inbox)
Thank you for everyone who participated in my first Giveaway.
Be sure to sign up for my Newsletter to always get the inside scoop on what’s new and any future Giveaways!
Disclaimer: Everything I share is solely based on my personal experience and is for informational purposes only. This post was sponsored by (CozyPhones) Halo Acoustic Wear, LLC. This post contains affiliate links. All opinions put forth in this review are 100% my own. For more information, please view my disclosure policy.