Want or NEED dinner in less than 30 minutes?
Try one of my all time favorites: Schinkennudeln. It is German and basically means ‘Pasta and Ham.’ (Schinken = Ham; Nudeln = Pasta)
This is a SUPER (and I mean SUPER) simple recipe! It’s one of my go-to dishes for days I happen to really not feel like cooking something big or the days I forget to take out meat as planned. My Opa (grandfather) used to make this for my sister and I, so it also brings many memories of my late Opa.
The basic ingredients of this dish consist of Egg Noodles and Ham cubes, but as with many other recipes I’ve added my own flair to it:
This is what you’ll need: (it is enough for the three of us and we always have leftovers)
1 package of Egg Noodles
1/2 pound Ham cut into cubes (I tend to use either Smoked Ham or Black Forest Ham)
1/2 yellow Onion, chopped
1-2 Tablespoons dried Parsley (totally optional, I just like to use this instead of salt for seasoning)
1 teaspoon Black Pepper
1 teaspoon oil (I normally use Vegetable oil)
1 Tablespoon oil
1-2 Teaspoons Garlic Salt
A pinch of salt
Now to the easy part:
- Bring a big pot of water with the pinch of salt and teaspoon of Oil to boil.
- While the water is coming to a boil, cut the ham into cubes (or if you’re using sandwich ham, cut it in small strips), chop the onion.
- Heat a skillet with the Tablespoon of Oil.
- Cook Egg Noodles in boiling water.
- Place Ham and Onions into skillet and brown till the ham has desired crisp. I usually start with the ham cubes and add the onion later in the process, since I like my ham a bit more crispy. 🙂
- Don’t forget about the Noodles 🙂 I tend to do that when I get super distracted and then get mad, because I just literally wasted an entire bag of Noodles since they become nothing more than a big pile of mush!
- Drain and shock the Noodles with cold water, then place back into pot.
- Add the browned ham and onions to the Noodles.
- Add Pepper, Garlic Salt and dried Parsley.
Elijah likes his without the Onions (so I set aside some ham before I add the onion to the skillet) and with Ketchup and my husband likes to add Italian Dressing. It is such a simple and fast dish that can be tweaked in so many ways, it’s amazing.
Let me know what you think!
Do you have a go-to fast dinner idea?
Disclosure: Everything I share is solely based on my personal experience and is for informational purposes only. Some posts may contain affiliate links. For more details please view my disclosure policy.